Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Daily Residue

These are the things I wash from my skin and my clothes every night:

Sweat. sweat. sweat.

Glitter from bangles…


Urine and slobber from holding infants in the slums...


Chalk from tutoring students after school…

Glue from working crafts with the kids…


Smoke from burning trash and boiling milk…

Mud from outside the huts in the slum…


Flower petals the villagers put in my hair…


Dust from the roads…


Snippets of thread from tailoring lessons…


I wash them away every night, but with each passing day I sense them burrowing beneath my skin where no water or soap will be able to erase them from my memory. I pray they do.

1 comment:

metcalfacres said...

Wow! Great pictures. T says the lighting is good too :) Thanks for sharing part of your world with us through pictures and words! Love, Mom