Saturday, March 6, 2010

Musings from the Library

So, I’ve been sitting in my favorite back corner of the library for the past several hours. Yes, it’s a Saturday and I’m in the library. I was also here on Friday night. Some of you may have ideas about what this means for my social life at school, but it’s okay. I already know, so you can stop fretting and keep them to yourself.

So, I’ve been sitting here writing, and I just looked up and noticed that the books on the shelves across from me include titles such as Censorship, Books Banned in the USA, and Book Burning. I’m trying to write a piece of creative fiction, and the books across from me have been smirking at me this whole time. I don’t really have anything profound to say about this observation, other than the fact that I’m not superstitious and taking this as a bad omen. I thought it was ironically funny, and it brought a laugh to my otherwise boring Saturday afternoon. I hope maybe it makes you laugh too.

Today is an indifferent day. I’ve written at least three pages of a short story in the last couple hours, but it doesn’t feel absolutely thrilling today. It feels good to know I’m making progress, but good in the way of knowing I’m doing what I’m supposed to right now and not being lazy and killing brain cells in front of a movie or something. Not good in the sense that my imaginary world of characters is exploding and creating something all on their own. But that’s okay.

Some days are just not extraordinary. Actually, most days aren’t extraordinary. Most days you just have to do what you have to do. I’ve had a lot of days like that this week. No thrills, no excitement, just working at it a little more at a time. But if I keep it up, maybe in a few weeks I’ll have a manuscript to bring back to show to the books in my favorite corner of the library. Then it’ll make me feel better.

No comments: